More than 25 million people in the world depend on the production of coffee for their livelihoods. These people should be rewarded for their hard work, respected for the jobs they do and supported to work sustainably for the longevity of their environment.
The Rainforest Alliance is an international non-profit organization working to create a better future for people and nature. Farms that meet comprehensive standards for sustainability earn the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal. These standards stand for environmental impact, farmer and community wellbeing and improved livelihoods for farmers and foresters.
By shopping for products with the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal, you support a healthy environment and help to improve the quality of life for farm families.
Rainforest Alliance Certified farms support safe and healthy conditions for smallholder farmers and their families. Smallholder farmers who have earned the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal...
- Report that they are better organised and have more access to technical help and buyers for their crops.
- More efficiently, reduce their costs and often earn a higher price for their cocoa/coffee/tea.
- Use fewer agrochemicals, which is not only better for the environment and their communities, but also saves them money.
- protect waterways, soils and sensitive ecosystems, helping to maintain a clean water supply for their families and their surrounding communities.
- Have reported that wildlife have returned to their Rainforest Alliance Certified farms
Rainforest Alliance Certification (The Green Frog) stands for…
- Environmental impact: protecting forests and biodiversity, managing the use of fertilizer and pesticides and building climate resilience;
- Farmer and community wellbeing: contributing to good conditions and decent wages for farmworkers, facilitating access to water, sanitation and healthcare and prohibiting child labour;
- Improved livelihoods: helping farmers and foresters better manage their land, reducing costs, improving crop quality and increasing their yields;
- Mission focused: driven by its mission to create a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. The Rainforest Alliance works with sustainable coffee farmers to improve their livelihoods and the health and well-being of their communities.
10 Reasons to buy coffee sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms?
- More efficient farm management: As farmers monitor activities on their farms, implement better practices, identify problems, and assess their progress.
- Less soil erosion: As farmers implement soil conservation practices, such as planting on contours and maintaining ground cover.
- Less water pollution: As all sources of contamination (e.g., pesticides, fertilizers, sediment, wastewater, garbage, fuels, etc.) are controlled.
- Less waste produced: As farm by-products are composted and returned to the fields as a natural fertilizer, while other wastes (e.g., plastics, glass, metals, etc.) are recycled whenever possible.
- Improved profitability and competitiveness: As farmers increase production, improve crop quality, reduce worker complaints, and increase worker efficiency while differentiating their product, improving their access to credit, and often earning premium prices.
- Wildlife habitat is protected: Deforestation is stopped, rivers are safeguarded by buffer zones, critical on-farm ecosystems (such as wetlands) are protected, and forest patches are preserved.
- Reduced threats to the environment and human health: As agrochemical use is strictly regulated, the most dangerous pesticides are prohibited, and farmers use mechanical and biological pest controls whenever possible.
- Less water consumed: As water-conservation measures are applied in washing and packing stations, housing areas, and irrigation systems.
- Improved conditions for farm workers: Who receive minimum wages, housing, drinking water, sanitary facilities, and a safe workplace, while they and their families get access to schools, healthcare, transportation, and training.
- More collaboration between farmers and conservationists: With farmers playing an integral role in conservation strategy as they help wild flora and fauna find refuge outside of protected areas.
Comprehensive farm-management standards and traceability systems help to ensure that products bearing the green frog seal can be traced back to well-managed farms that protect workers, wildlife, and communities. All businesses (like us) that source products from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms must achieve Chain-of-Custody certification if they wish to label their products with the green frog seal (which we do!)
We are extremely proud to be working with the Rainforest Alliance and supporting the incredible work they do to pro-actively promote such sustainable practices in the most delicate and crucial parts of our world. Here are the most recent coffee statistics from the work Rainforest Alliance are doing.
To learn more about the Rainforest Alliance, visit www.rainforest-alliance.org